EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

MOSTLY VEGGIE ENCHILADAS

Enchiladas don't have to be Mexican in flavor, although that is the best way to prepare them. I do use a little different recipe when I make them, however. I prepare whatever filling I am in the mood for, be it spinach and cheese or sauteed veggies, fold my stuffed tortillas* and cover them with cheese. The last step is to pour on your sauce and bake until bubbly, usually about 30 minutes covered and 10 more uncovered or under the broiler. While this is not a traditional preparation method, it works for me! Enchiladas are easily prepared as a vegan dish, too. Or you can try making up your own version. Have fun with this one!!!! 

Some examples of fillings:
Sauteed spinach and sharp cheddar cheese
Sauteed veggies such as onions, peppers squash, zuchinni, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
Black beans and brown rice
Seasoned ground beef and onions
Shredded seasoned chicken or turkey (I use ground cumin and garlic)
Actually the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

Some examples of sauces:
Easy, Creamy Sauce (TAO)
1 8 oz cup of sour cream
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped, stems removed
1 jar of a good salsa (or make your own, you need about 8 oz.)
Throw all that in the blender or food processor and whirl until smooth. Pour over enchiladas and top with cheese.
This one is good with shredded chicken stuffed tortillas or spinach and cheese.

Easy, Tomato Based Sauce
1 8 oz jar of salsa
1 8 oz jar of Mexican Mole Sauce
Chopped onion
Chopped Green Pepper
Saute the peppers and onions, stir in the mole sauce. Add the salsa just before pouring over the stuffed tortillas.

This is good over ground beef or plain cheese stuffed tortillas. If you want to get really ambitious, you can use green chiles, fresh or canned, to spice up either one of the above sauces or make up your own.


*There is a trick to folding enchiladas. I find the easiest way for me is to fold over each side of the tortilla, which will be lying flat on your plate. Carefully hold onto the folded ends, while you slowly and gently start to roll the tortilla around whatever filling you are using. I take a bit of water and run along the edge of the wrap and press the last flap down, so that it sticks a bit. I place these with the flat side down in my baking dish, which I have misted with a good olive or other oil. Since most enchiladas contain cheese at some point, they do stick to the pan sometimes....