EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

You say "Tabulleh", I say "Tabouli".

This dish is the Middle Eastern equivalent of American Potato Salad, in that every one has their own favorite recipe, usually their Mama's, although the basic recipe is the same. (See? Just like 'tater salad.)  I have found versions of this dish in several cultures, all with variations on the same theme. Traditionally it is made with bulgur wheat, but I make it with couscous. It is a much lighter dish made my way and can be either a main dish cold salad for summer meals or warm as a side dish or light lunch, any time. It is healthful, lo-cal, delicious and satisfying any way you prepare it.

For this page, I started with a basic, traditional and simple recipe. Tabouli/Tabulleh, like hummus, is a staple of health food store deli's. That is probably because it is easy and cheap to make, but still looks impressive. More good news is that it is totally vegan. If you have ever purchased it pre-made at a store, once you make your own, you will never go back! 


If you are sensitive to wheat, I really don't have a suggestion for a substitute for the bulgur or the couscous. Both are made with wheat, although there is probably a non-wheat alternative that I am not aware of, since I don't know everything.

Making the Traditional Lebanese Tabbouleh
2 bunches of parsley 
A small bunch of mint 
2 medium-sized spring onions or white onions 
1 large red and firm tomato 
1/3 cup of fine bulgur 
1/3 cup of olive oil 
Juice of 2 lemons 
Salt and pepper 

Clean the parsley and sort it into bunches and strip off the mint leaves. Wash the parsley bunches, mint leaves, tomato and onion, and leave them to dry. For a non-crunchy tabbouleh version, wash and drain the burghul. Dice the tomato and add to the burghul. Chop the mint and parsley finely, and add to the burghul and tomato. Finely chop the onions, rub with salt and pepper, then add to the rest of the ingredients. Season the tabbouleh with lemon juice, olive oil and salt as desired. Adding a finely diced green or red hot pepper is optional but gives the tabbouleh additional flavor. The end result should be juicy, without being drenched. Serve with fresh Romaine lettuce, white cabbage leaves, tender vine leaves, or Lebanese bread.

My personal version of Tabouli/Tabulleh is basically the above recipe with the following changes. I substitute couscous, available at almost any grocery store these days, for the bulgar and prepare it according to the instructions on the package.

TAO Tabouli:


Set the couscous aside to cool. Dice or chop the tomatoes, cukes, onions and peppers, into similarly sized pieces. Make sure you dice or chop; slicing veggies for this dish is bad chef karma. I usually leave out the mint leaves, unless I have fresh growing in the garden. Be sure to add lots of fresh garlic. Just toss everything together with the warm pasta, let sit 15 minutes to blend flavors and serve. If you like it chilled, cover and put in the 'fridge. This is also one great leftover! At times, I have added sunflower seeds, walnuts or red peppers (which I roasted myself) just for a change. 

Serve it up on a bed of lettuce and you are ready to go! There is a light, fresh taste to this dish but at the same time, it is hearty enough to satisfy. If you are going to serve to someone else and want to make it more "festive", use a purple onion and red and yellow tomatoes, red, yellow or green pepper, etc. You get the idea.

(If you buy couscous in bulk, which is possible at a good health foods store, you basically boil 1 cup of water, season it with a little sea salt, add about 3/4 cup of couscous, remove from heat, cover and wait 7 minutes. It is such a fine pasta that it soaks up the water and voila! it is done. This is great camp food, because you can heat the water in any way, use any vessel and cover with just about anything. I made couscous over a fire once in a rinsed out bean can with a rock on top.)