EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

Growing your own....


The first year we started homesteading (back in 2000, before we got into organic farming for our living) we used a plan I found in a book about preservation that showed a chart for how much to plant to yield certain quantities, etc. and I planned an entire year around that garden. It was a 100 X 100 plot, which is not that large and we grew 4 seasons of veggies. 



The only things we bought at the store were whatever we could not produce ourselves. All organic, all fresh, all by our own hands. It required a lot of planning, a lot of work, etc. but we figured it was hours we would have spend working for someone else to earn money to buy what we were producing, so it was in essence our "jobs".  I calculated how much of our income would go toward just our food budget and we decided that the value of growing our food equaled a 20 hour work week (after calculating time spent and taxes paid). 



I don't think many people realize how much of their time at work goes just for paying for food.  Anyone who says that growing some veggies in the backyard is too time consuming  should think about how many hours they are away from their homes and families, just earning the money to feed them.  A backyard garden can be a family project and involve everybody and there is value in that, too.  From the time spent together to the lessons learned, it is a worthwhile project for any family. 



I preserved a good bit of the harvests and we ate almost exclusively from that patch for the entire year. Since I had grown up at my granny's side whenever she was canning, freezing, etc., much of what was required to do this was already something I had first hand experience with but it isn't that hard to learn. Most extension offices teach classes on preservation. 



I know we saved way, way more than $500 that first year. It also launched our careers for the next decade...growing certified organic produce. My husband passed away earlier this year but I will continue to grow organic food for a living. So when I say I know it can be done,, I am speaking from experience. It is also one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself and your family.  In these days and times, it is nice to know that you can be proactive at being more self sufficient, even if you can only manage a few tomato plants on the patio.  



This is a picture of that original garden plot, expanded to 150 X 200 feet.  
Yellow Crookneck Squash planted in 150 foot rows. Next three rows are yellow wax beans and the final two rows are  specialty summer squash. We eventually expanded from this  small plot to include over 15 acres of organic vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs.