EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

Kohlrabi

This unusual looking veggie comes in green or purple, can be eaten raw or cooked, and taste a lot like broccoli stems. The word kohlrabi is German for cabbage turnip (kohl as in cole-slaw, and rĂ¼be for turnip) though kohlrabi is more related to cabbage and cauliflower than to root vegetables. They are usually eaten raw, just peeled, sliced and added to a salad, but they are also delicious cooked. I couldn't find a better source for recipes for this veggie that Simply Recipes, so here it a link to that page. Click Kohlrabi Recipes to get recipes.




I have made the one below and I like it very much, although it calls for a lot of ingredients and I made it when I was growing most of them, not purchasing them, but the recipe might give you a good place to start on your own version.  Personally, I still prefer to eat kohlrabi just peeled, sliced and salted a little. (I originally found this recipe at the VegParadise website.)

KOHLRABI SIAM CHOPPED SALAD
4 kohlrabis, about 2 to 2 1/2" in diameter
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 lb.(113 gr) snow peas, chopped
1 1/2 C.(355 ml) Napa cabbage, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into fine julienne about 1" (2.5 cm) in length
1/2 to 1 fresh pasilla pepper, diced or 1/8 t. crushed pepper flakes
1 or 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2" (1 cm) piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 T. toasted sesame seeds
3 T. organic canola oil
2 t. sesame oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Dash of rice vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds
2 T. minced green onions


Combine all ingredients except black sesame seeds and green onions in a large bowl and toss well to distribute flavors.
Garnish top with black sesame seeds and minced green onions. Best if made several hours ahead to allow dressing to penetrate vegetables. Serve as a salad course or a side dish. Serves 4.