EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

My Granny's Green Beans

My granny was one of the all-time great Southern cooks, the kind you read about in novels about the South. She never measured anything....just a pinch, a dab, a shake or a handful were all the measures she ever used. And for the uninitiated, Southern cooking is as much about love and comfort as it is about taste and everything my grandmother made was served up with extra helpings of all three. (My mom is no slouch in the cooking department, either. She makes the best potato salad on the planet. Her recipe for that is here at the Artful Omnivore, too.)


The following is the way that my grandmother taught me to cook green beans. Of course, she always grew them when we cooked them and she taught me that, too. 
Here's Granny's recipe:
"Take you a mess of green beans, like the ones we just went out and picked. String 'em and snap 'em and wash 'em. Take that big cast iron pot over there and fry up some some streaked meat, til it just starts to get crispy on the ends. Put in your beans, cover with water, some salt and just pinch of sugar. Boil the pot until there is no water left. Be sure to keep an eye on the pot and don't let the water all boil out.  Let 'em boil about 15 minutes or so and turn down the heat and let 'em simmer a spell. 

While their cooking, we'll boil some of that fresh corn on the cob and make up a pan of biscuits to go along. But I better make the biscuits, 'cause yours aren't so good yet. But you just keep tryin', you'll learn."


Of course, that is not exactly what my granny said, but it is pretty close.  She cooked the best green beans on the planet and to this day I have never tasted any like hers, although my mom and I can get pretty close. I have to admit that these days my green beans are stringless and I am much more likely to steam them or saute them. But every once in a while, I get the urge to have them the way my granny cooked them and I wonder why I ever cook them any other way. I do use butter or margarine, in place of the "streaked meat" but basically nothing else is different. Try putting new potatoes on top of the beans and let them cook together.  Or mix in some sweet corn, just cut off the cob and added just a few minutes before you serve the beans.
Served with a relish of fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers, in a sweet vinegar brine, it doesn't get any better!


 Oh, and Granny was right.  My biscuit making skills eventually improved.