EXCUSE THE MESS!!!

Please excuse the clutter here at the blog right now. I am in the process of redesigning it for easier access so please bear with me. Most of the old recipes are still here (for my old followers) and I am working on a complete new format, which I hope will make it easy to find stuff quickly.

Remember if a recipe has the letters T-A-O attached to it anywhere, it is one of my personal exclusives.

Thanks!!!

T~A~O

Bananas Foster ala The Artful Omnivore

Here is my version of Bananas Foster, which is a famous New Orleans dessert. My version is so easy a monkey could do it. I don't make too many desserts, but this is one of my specialities. It is simple but so good guests will be impressed. I don't do the traditional flambe thing, as I am not allowed to play with fire in the kitchen anymore....


(There are suggestions made here also for more vegetarian version if that is your preference)


What You Need
Bananas, one whole banana per serving
Butter or Margarine, 1/2 cup (rice butter will work, but sauce will not be as thick)
Turbinado or organic cane sugar, 1/4 cup + 1 TBSP
Orange juice, 3 Tablespoons
Rum (Brandy or Burbon will work too, as will flavorings), 1-2 tablespoons
Mace or cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon
(I prefer Mace...I don't like cinnamon, so use your personal preference)
Vanilla Extract, 1/2 teaspoon
Vanilla Ice Cream (use one made with real vanilla bean) or Tofutti
(This recipe will make 2 large or 4 small servings)



What You Do
Melt the butter(margarine) in a flat pan, not a pot, over med to med low heat. (If it is cooking too fast lower the heat, this will burn quickly if pan gets too hot.) When it starts to melt, slowly add the sugar, stirring all the time. Let mixture cook for a couple of minutes until sugar is completely dissolved. Add the spices, vanilla, orange juice and rum (or brandy, etc.) and let it continue to simmer briefly, until it just begins to bubble a bit. (If the syrup seems to thin, add the other tablespoon of sugar, but no more. You want this dish to be creamy, like a caramel...too much sugar will result in a "hard" sauce, which will like taffy when it cools.) Add bananas, sliced longwise. Turn bananas over several times to coat with syrup. Turn off heat and let "rest" just a couple of minutes. Serve warm over ice cream, allowing 1 whole banana per serving. This is very easy, yet special desert.